Information for members of the Garda Síochána
This section aims to answer some frequently asked questions for garda members in relation to what to expect:
... if a complaint is made against you
- How will I know if a complaint is made against me?
- If a complaint is made against me and it is deemed inadmissible, what are the main reasons and why am I not told what the complaint was?
- What are my rights if a complaint is made against me?
- Can GSOC investigate conduct of off-duty gardaí?
...in the investigation of a complaint
- How are complaints investigated?
- Why would I engage in Informal Resolution?
- What powers do GSOC officers have?
- If GSOC requests an interview with me, what can I expect?
- Can GSOC impose penalties or sanctions?
- How long do complaint investigations typically take?
- What does GSOC do about complaints that are false or misleading?
- Who can I talk to if I am concerned or anxious about a GSOC investigation?
- If I have a complaint about a GSOC staff member what recourse do I have?
- Disclosures from employees of An Garda Síochána under the Protected Disclosures Act 2014